There has been an ongoing industry wide shortage of over the last month on these items due to inclement weather including colder temperatures and rain.
The heat over the last few weeks in the Mexicali area have started to cause quality and supply issues on Green Onions. Now with Hurricane Hilary approaching, supplies of Green Onions will get worse before it gets better.
- The increased heat in Mexicali and now rain and wind from Hurricane Hilary will cause a major shortage in supplies.
- Currently Green Onions that are growing are maturing too quickly and are leading to various quality issues (crooked shanks/excess peeling around the root) causing lower yields.
- The heat/ground temps have kept the production season ahead of schedule and has caused a supply gap this week.
- The market is going up drastically as Hurricane Hilary is approaching.
- Expect supplies to be extremely tight the next 3-4 weeks. Suppliers will struggle to cover averages.